extending API to automate accessibility for screen reader users

derek

I’ve been exploring ways to improve the accessibility of RadioBoss for screen reader users like myself,particularly with NVDA. While the current approach of manually adding labels to each individual control works, I'm sure that it is a tedious, time consuming operation. However, that does not nullify the importance of accessibility. Having said that, I believe we could use the Remote Control API to achieve a more dynamic and scalable solution.

Rather than constantly pointing out unlabeled parts of radioboss, I was thinking of getting an NVDA addon written which could use the API to get missing information; However, The API would need to be extended to do this.

Could you create a function that would return the name of the currently focused control? This would make it straightforward for an NVDA add-on to provide accessible descriptions.

If so, the addon could check to see if a focused control has a label. If so, NVDA would behave normally. If the label didn't exist, the addon could get the name of the focused control from the API.

Alternatively, the NVDA addon could scan for missing labels every time a new window appears, then send information to the API to get the labels for the fields, then you wouldn't have to have a command that tracks the navigation of the user.

If the API were further extended to be aware of controls in the included applications, such as the track tool, and music library, that would be a massive time saver as well.

Could you create a function that would return the name of the currently focused control? This would make it straightforward for an NVDA add-on to provide accessible descriptions.
This is actually what accessibility support in RadioBOSS already do - it provides the name of the focused control via a MSAA API. So if the control is named this way, it's already accessible.

Back