Loudness normalization: Newbie questions

quiet please

Hello,

I am new to RadioBOSS and this forum. My main interest ist loudness normalization.
There are some things I haven't found in the manual / help file and kindly ask you for your support on the first steps.
  1. Where can I set the target level in LUFS?
  2. Is the maximum peak of -1 dB true peak fix or can I vary this value (e.g. -2 dB TP max)?
  3. Is it possible to drop a file from a Windows folder directly into the playlist and let it automatically normalize there without using the library?
Thank you in advance.

Oh, by the way, I haven't found any hint on the website how long a trial period for this software will last.

Where can I set the target level in LUFS?
You set in it the Music Library in the Process Tracks window: https://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/process-tracks.htm
Also in Track Tool when you click the Auto to detect track level.

Is the maximum peak of -1 dB true peak fix or can I vary this value (e.g. -2 dB TP max)?
It does not check for the maximum level during normalization.

Is it possible to drop a file from a Windows folder directly into the playlist and let it automatically normalize there without using the library?
No, but you can schedule automatic library update so it will normalize any new files added to the specified folder(s): in the Music Library, Tools menu, Schedule automatic library update.

Thank you, this is helpful.
Unfortunately, it does not meet my requirements.
It does not check for the maximum level during normalization.
From my point of view this is not the EBU R 128 specification. :unsure:

If I choose to normalize to -16 LUFS and a music element would be higher than -1 dB TP, the loudness should be reduced until the maximum peak of -1 dB TP is no longer exceeded. Otherwise digital clipping is possible, or am I wrong?

You might want to test it with Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry Be Happy.
As long as you don't want to go higher than -1 dB TP, the playout loudness is around -20 LUFS.

Yes the level may go above 0dB and cause clipping. We'll add an option to control this (that is to ensure the resulting normalized level does not go above 0dB), I also think it should be on by default as most radios will not want clipping to occur.

Back